Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Bake-Off

Monday again and that can only mean one thing: time for the Monday bake-off....this is when I try to be a virtuous Mum and bake treats for the girls (and Mr.D) for morning and afternoon teas; and late night snacks. I thought I'd get ahead of myself and make a chocolate cake yesterday but by the time 8pm rolled around the whole dang thing had been devoured and I was back to square one! Greedy munchkins!

So today I donned my fave vintage apron once again and hup-two'd into the Kitchen Kitsch kitchen.  First on the menu was a good old favourite, Coconut and Raspberry Slice. After a slight flour mishap I got back down to baking business.



Here's the recipe.....

Coconut and Raspberry Slice

Base                                      
60g softened butter               
60g caster sugar                    
2 egg yolks                            
pinch of salt                           
1 tsp vanilla                           
150g SR flour

Topping
1/2 cup raspberry jam (I mixed things up a bit and used blueberry but any fruity jam will suffice)
1 cup of shredded coconut
3/4 cup of caster sugar
2 egg whites

Now, it's as easy as turning the oven on to 200 degrees Celsius and line a sandwich pan with baking paper.
Beat the butter and sugar to a cream, add the egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
Stir in a pinch of salt and the vanilla, dump in the flour and mix to a smooth batter.
Place into the pan. Top with the jam of choice.
For the topping beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, beat in the sugar, and stir in the coconut. Pour this mixture on top of the jam.
Pop in the oven and bake until the base is cakey and the top is golden and looks like (is, actually)crunchy meringue. Allow to cool before slicing into ....slices...hence the name! Yummm!

Did I mention I also baked chocolate chip bikkies? I'll do anything to get out of cleaning the bathrooms!

Here goes:

Choc Chip Bikkies

125g softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups SR flour
3/4 cup of Cadbury Milk Choc Chips (which just happened to be half price at Woolies today!)

Cream butter and sugars, stir in egg and vanilla. Sift the flour and fold through the mixture along with the choc chips. Roll into balls, flatten with a fork, and whack into a 160 degree oven for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Try to not eat balls of this cookie dough.....I dare you!

Et voila!!!


You're right, these look hideous but it's what's inside that counts.....right girls?? Heck though, the tablecloth's pretty!




xxMs.K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your tablecloth sure is pretty and so is what I can see of the serving plate. xmima

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...