Friday, January 27, 2012

Trash or Treasure??

It's not as good as Christmas, but this time of the year comes a close second.....it's the annual curbside collection and I LOVE it!! The excitement of today's find almost makes me forget I'm drinking soda and lime instead of a cheeky vino.

It's a long and fabulous story but I'm telling it anyway. My ever thrifty mother-in-law discovered a beautiful old iron gate thrown out for the collection on one of her early morning walks. She managed to get the homeowner to put it aside for her so she could come back to collect it. Turns out it was salvaged from a 100+ year old house that was being removed in West End about 20 years ago. The lucky salvager never got around to doing anything with it and decided to toss it. Being the owner of a keen eye she grabbed this for me before she left....



OMG! Is that a dirty stain on my stripey teatowel? I do apologise. 
Anyhow, Mr.D and I went with her today to help her get the gate into the car and after alot of huffing and puffing (from Mr.D) it was safely secured and the boot was closed. Just before hopping back in the car I had one last glance at the pile and this beauty caught my eye.....how fabulous is this????!! I'd love to know how old it is and I can't believe I nearly left without it as it would have ended up in the tip. I have no immediate plans for it but I'm thinking I'll leave the chipped paint as is and secure it to the wall to hide some of the (ugly) brickwork my nondescript '80's house is built with.

Voila!



Not as exciting, but a find none-the-less, is this pine stool I found on the collection pile down the road....



A bit of a sanding and some lovely bright paint for you my baby! Here's something else I found from a previous curbside collection....(the table!)



Now really Mr. D, "Steptoe and Son"? ....y'think??? Harsh!!!

xxMs.K


1 comment:

Polly Dolly said...

I can see exactly how that stool will look with a bright paint job. I am at the moment going through my house with paint and brushes and giving most of my wood furniture a make over xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...