Sunday, September 30, 2012

More Peas!!

I love my Saturday morning trips to the markets, and finding huge piles of fresh peas never fails to bring about happy moments of nostalgia.  As well as lavender scented hugs, a fond memory I have of my beloved Grandmother, Florence, is sitting chatting with her while she shelled peas at the funky red laminex table in her kitchen.  Sheets of The Telegraph Newspaper were spread over the table and she would toss the emptied shells onto it before wrapping the whole lot up and putting it out in the back yard incinerator bin. The yield was huge and the peas were fat....unfortunately Nan would boil the buggery out of them in a pot of water with bi carb soda added to it. Why Nan, why??

How times have changed! The bi carb boiling is forgotten and the kilo or so of peas I brought home from the markets looked very promising from the outside but as I opened them things were starting to look alot like the characters from some of those reality shows that my Miss H insists on watching.....lots of skin but not much going on inside.....



Despite the disappointment of finding some of the shells sans peas, my meagre yield of about a handful proved edible and flavoursome after a gentle steaming and as I tried to wash the green stains out of my fingernails I almost considered that frozen peas could be a better option. Or perhaps my Garden of Neglect would like a new friend.....now there's an idea....

xxMs.K

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...